Saturday, October 17, 2015

Blog Entry #5

I've been saddened and humbled while researching the historical events that shaped our public schools and made them what they are today.  I've also been inspired by their strength and courage.  Their courage paid off and I see it every time I go into my service learning classroom.



When I see the black kids in my class, I wonder if they know if they would've been born 60 years ago, they would have a much different school experience.   Before the supreme court case, Brown vs. The board of Education, schools were segrated by color.  The fight didn't end when the court case was won, blacks had to continue the fight and I'm so glad they did. 

When I'm reading to a little boy in the class who doesn't speak any English, I realized the impact of court case, Lau vs. Nichols.  The little boy in my class would be pushed to the back of the room, left to fall through the cracks. Some brave child before him, fought for change and won. 

I feel proud of my country and priveledged to be a future teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment